Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Ahhh, Spring


It appears that Spring has finally arrived in middle Tennessee. We have been flirting with it for a couple of weeks or more, but I think it is here to stay. Here are the signs that are pointing to Spring's arrival:
  • warmer nights
  • budding trees
  • blooming cherry, red bud, and tulip trees
  • boys interested in our daughters
Okay, I am camping on that last one for a minute. I know that Spring and Prom usually arrive about the same time of year and both can bring a certain amount of joy and angst. This is Shelbi's senior year so she has a little of the whole prom experience under her belt so when she was asked to DCAs prom, that was all cool. Michael is a great young man and he and Shelbi have been good friends for years.

Over the weekend, one of the guys from church approached me about asking Shelbi to his school's prom and wanted to talk to me before he even asked Shelbi if she was interested in going with him to his prom "just as friends." Those were his words to me and I believe him. He is a great kid and one that I have great respect for. He is the kind of kid that fathers of daughters like. Nice, polite, respectful, and safe. After I said yes to him that he could ask Shel, he said, now I just have to get the courage up to ask Shelbi. My kind of guy!

Morgan, our sophomore, has met a young man who seems to be a fine young guy, but I have not met him. He asked her if she was interested in going to his prom with him and she was quick to say that if she did go with him, it would only be as friends. We are doing something right with her evidently. Jacob is coming over to the house tonight for dinner and to meet me. I have no plans to pull out the hand gun to clean it tonight, but my plans can always change. I am sure he is more scared about the whole upcoming experience than I am. I am pretty calm. I am hoping he is not. Not that I want to make it hard on him.

Two things I make sure guys know about what Sondra and I consider to be good date-able people for the girls. Are they going to help our girls become more like Christ through the relationship they have with them and are the committed to helping our daughters live out a life of purity? Those are the only two non-negotiables to dating the Turner girls.

Seems fair enough to me. Spoken like true dad.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This could be one of my all-time favorite blog posts! Funny, serious, short, and sweet.

I really hope I can be a great dad like you, Paul.

And this is no April Fool's joke ;]

Heap