I shared this with our students a few months ago after the massacre in Las Vegas. In light of yesterday's school shooting at Marshall County High School in Kentucky, I was reminded once again of the urgency of proclaiming the good news of Jesus Christ.
I am praying for those families who have been directly impacted. May God provide peace, comfort, strength, grace, forgiveness and mercy.
You are welcome to use this very short, non-exhaustive look at evil and the believer's role in prayer and action. (This is designed as a conversation piece, not a full on presentation.)
Even biblical writers complained about pain and evil:
- Evils have encompassed me without number. Psalm 40:12
- Why is my pain unceasing, my wound incurable, refusing to be healed? Jeremiah 15:18
- We know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. Romans 8:22
God did not create an evil world – Genesis 1:31
Evil is here, it is real, and it is also temporary. Rev. 21:4-5
We see how evil exists but cannot fully understand why God allows evil. Isaiah 55:8–9; Romans 11:33
What Can We Do?
- Pray, empathize and comfort.
- Speak out about evil and injustice.
- Take a stand when others are oppressed.
- Always have hope – Remember God is a promise-keeper.