Sunday, March 9, 2008

Carolina Wins

It was fun to watch Carolina beat Duke on Sr. night at Duke once again. Psycho T (Tyler Hansbrough) has won three times at Duke. Pretty much unheard of. It was good to see the Heels show that they are pretty good inside, in transition, and can play defense.

I had dinner last night with Julie Burden (a former student of mine and good friend of our family) and one of her friends Kelley Mesa. We enjoyed some Lebanese food and enjoyed just catching up with one another.

This morning I worshiped with John McArthur on television. I then headed into DC to run The Mall. It is really sunny here today but very windy and cold. I ran about 7 miles, talked to a few other runners and planned on running more but when I went by my car (parked next to the Potomac and FDR Memorial) there were all kinds of emergency vehicles including a helicopter and water rescue. Emergency personnel were pulling a body out of the river and it was pretty obvious that any attempts at reviving the young man (it appeared to be a young man) were futile. I have to tell you that it was a pretty sad scene for me. I began to pray for his family, if he had any one who really cared for him, and then began to think about his life and how he ended up in the river. Life is so fragile. I wonder where he is spending eternity. I just did not have the heart to run anymore today.

This has been a good trip and I did enjoy my run on The Mall. It is one of my favorite places to run, but it is time to head home. I go to Richmond later today, conduct a resource fair for youth ministers tomorrow and head home on Tuesday. I miss my wife and our girls. Shelbi is enjoying New York City and will be home on Tuesday as well.

No comments: