Friday, December 1, 2006

Sobering


I got up early enough on Thursday to head out for a 5-miler and ran through some of the neighborhoods that I normally run through when in New Orleans. It is hard to believe that 15 months later, most of the homes still remain empty and many of them like they were when the storm hit and the waters finally receded. Seeing the effects 15 months later and so much left to do was sobering.

I went by the 17th St. Canal and saw where one of the major breaches occurred and was surprised to see a new home built within about 25 feet of the breach. Not sure if that means they are not going to let the storm and floods beat them or if they are just unwise. Not a judgement, just an observation.

My experience at the seminary in New Orleans went really well yesterday. The two profs that allowed me time in their class are just great guys and they have a great group of students. After class, we headed to a chapel time they have 3 times/week and then out to lunch at a restaurant on St. Charles. I ordered some grilled shrimp enchiladas and they were awesome.

Made it to the airport a little early and ended up sitting for four hours waiting on flight attendants who were on another flight delayed because of all the storms across the US. I got home around 830p, but missed our daughter's volleyball banquet which was a real drag. I did meet and talk with some nice folks in the airport and with each delay, other people went to the bar and ordered more beer and liquor. I guess not so sobering.

This morning's run was very cold and windy. It was 75 degrees and humid for yesterday's run in New Orleans, and a wind chill of 30 here in Nashvegas this morning. It is December though and cold is expected. Kind of sobering.

No comments: