Friday, December 21, 2007

My Tribute to My Mom

I am including the tribute that I read at my mom's service yesterday. What an amazing lady she was. This is probably going to be my last post for the year. I am choosing to fast from blogging and just enjoy my family.

I do want to say thank you for praying for our whole family during my mom's illness and home going. Please remember my dad, Charles. It was hard leaving him today but I know that he will be okay. God bless each of you. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Hey Mom
I just want to say thanks for a couple of things that you taught me:

Actually it is a lot more than a couple, but people will think this will go quicker if I just say it is a couple of things.

You have taught me how to laugh. Your quick, dry wit and your keen sense of seeing the funny stuff in the midst of difficult times has been a blessing.

You have taught me how to influence others. There are many folks that we have talked to through the years and now in the past few days who have spoken of the influence you have had on their lives. I never had you as a teacher in a formal educational setting, but I had you in the laboratory of life as a young child to now a 44-year-old man.

You have taught me how to focus on the things that really matter. Your love for people that you modeled showed me the importance of loving people for who they are and for seeing in them the potential to be whom God wants them to be.

You have taught me that without Christ we are nothing. Your faith in life and in your last days is a great testimony to the glory of God. It is Christ who makes us worthy and Him alone.

You have taught me the importance of being loving and faithful to my mate. You and dad are an incredible testimony to the power and grace of God and the transforming power of the Holy Spirit.

You have taught me to live life to its fullest. It is too bad that most of the folks in here did not get to see you rear a couple of boys and a husband as well. You have always been the queen of our house. You were spoiled and it is just the way we all wanted it.

You have taught me that my dad is a great man. He is undoubtedly the greatest man that I have ever known. For James and I to be identified because we look and act like dad is a great honor. He loves you and will miss you but knows that you are now home.

Thanks for not only teaching me how to live, but how to die with grace, faith, and dignity. I will miss you, but because of Christ will be with you again some day. I wonder if you are rolling your hair, picking your lips, and eating popcorn? There probably is no need to keep picking your lips and save some popcorn for me. I love you.

Paul

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this, Paul. We love you guys and are praying for you while you travel. And we do wish you a great Christmas, even if it is a bit different...