Monday, March 5, 2007

Death of a Friend

Debbie Harned passed away today after a long struggle with cancer. I first met Debbie about 17 years ago when my wife and I moved to Nashville. Debbie was the youth minister at Dalewood and I was at FBC, Donelson. We encouraged each other, played in golf tournaments together, ministered to kids and just enjoyed being around one another. She started a ministry called Anchor Ministries which was a way for her to encourage other people who worked with students. Debbie was always encouraging.

The last few years she was a counselor at Hume-Fogg Magnet School, volunteered at her church and continued to love people. She and her husband Kelly and their two boys have done a lot to encourage others in their walk and this whole cancer thing seems really weird to me. I do not understand why cancer gets the good and the bad. Debbie was a great lady and fine woman. I know that Kelly must be relieved in one way that Debbie is not suffering any longer, but I cannot begin to imagine his pain in losing his best friend and his mate.

This has been a sad day for me today. I miss Debbie but I am so thankful for the impact she has had on my life. I ask you to pray for her husband and two sons, her parents and her sister, Julie. Thanks for being such an encourager Debbie. I am priviledged to have known you.

No comments: