Friday, August 15, 2008

New Look

I have not blogged since Sunday so when I signed in to Blogger today, my dashboard came up looking different. You know Facebook has adopted a new look and all of this new look stuff got me to wondering if I need a new look. Nah! I am currently growing a little chin hair but the hair is pretty white so that is not so new. The chin hair won't last anyway.

I spent Monday and Tuesday of this week in New Orleans at the seminary doing some training for the youth ministry crew there and all of those guys are just great folks. They each are strong personal friends of mine and one of them is a former boss of mine who has taught me many things over the years. He retired from regular work and has been teaching at the seminary for quite a few years now. I did a 5-miler and a 10-miler down there and they were both hot and humid and pretty much miserable. I ran through the a neighborhood I usually run through and some of those homes are coming back. I drove through the Ninth Ward and the St. Bernard areas though and they are still in pretty bad shape. Hard to believe that the Katrina storm and the flooding was almost three years ago. Remember to pray for the folks in New Orleans.

Morgan is in full swing with soccer scrimmages and they are looking pretty good. They could really use a few more bodies but they are playing pretty well and have had to play both scrimmages a man down.

Shelbi is a couple of weeks away from heading to Union and is still working and her oral surgery with the wisdom teeth going away seems to have healed pretty well. Sondra is gearing up to teach the first nine weeks at DCA while another teacher is on maternity leave. Sondra is pretty excited about teaching algebra and pre-algebra. She is good at the stuff and is the sole reason I graduated from college. She saved my bacon for sure.

Today is the last day of work for a few of my good friends who lost their jobs. My best friend at work, Sid has set a great example of dealing with adversity and maintaining your walk. I can say the same thing about each of my friends who lost their job in the last few weeks from where I work. I do not profess to understand how all decisions are made and am working through alot of stuff related to the job losses. Thankful I have a job and hurting for many of my friends.

I ran a 20-miler today and finished it averaging 9 min. miles. I was glad to be done but it fit into my schedule the way it needed to and I hit my marks. Looking forward to a weekend at home with many things going on.

Loving the Olympics and Michael Phelps. He is the man!

No comments: