Friday, August 1, 2008

Long Roads

I took out this morning about 6a and headed out for my 18 mile run. The weather was more humid than I hoped for but it was cloudy/foggy so the sun did not beat down on me the whole time. I was determined to only do 9 minute miles and ended up doing 9 minute miles. I have a tendency to run too fast on the long runs and over train and I was disciplined today. Who knew? I ended up running most of it on the greenway and it is very hilly in parts, but I do not have to dodge traffic and most of it is shaded. All in all, it was a pretty good long run, but it was 18 miles.

Yesterday and today have been hard days regarding work in a lot of ways. Mostly people. With the economic down turn, I know all ministries and businesses are having to make some drastic moves. We are not immune at my place of employment. Some of my best friends at work and in life were let go. I know that God will take care of them and am not just saying that, but I sure hurt when others hurt. Being merciful just hurts some times but cannot compare to the feelings that my friends must be going through.

I still have my job for which I am thankful and I will have a new boss. I was thinking about that today while running and this will be my fourth boss in the last three years. I must be hard on bosses. My current boss is retiring and is landing well but I will miss him terribly. He has been an icon and a legend. Others of my friends have been at my place of employment for many years and they will be seeking new areas of ministry. Each of them are highly skilled, incredibly competent people. They will be fine. I am also experiencing survivor's guilt I think.

Sondra and Shelbi drive to MO to spend time with Sondra's parents and just left a few minutes ago. That is about an 8 hour drive that they are breaking up by spending the night with some friends of ours who live about half way in between here and her parents. Praying for their safety on the long road.

Morgan is at the lake today and I will be doing training at Long Hollow tonight with my good buddy Jeff L. He is one wild man who loves people and it will be good to be around his people and him.

No comments: