Thursday, May 17, 2007

Dr. Jerry Falwell

It has been pretty interesting to hear different people reflect on the death of Dr. Falwell. Many villify him, while others praise him as one of the greatest leaders of the last few decades. There is no denying that Dr. Falwell impacted the American culture in a very strong way. What he did politically will be remembered for generations. Some of the things he said were a bit stronger than I would have personally said, but he was a person that was not above admitting if he said something in the wrong spirit.

I first met Dr. Falwell as a teenager in Kansas City, Missouri. Dr. Falwell's college roommate, Dr. Truman Dollar, was then pastor of Kansas City Baptist Temple. Dr. Dollar's daughter and I were friends and I was at the Dollar's one afternoon when low and behold, Dr. Falwell was sitting on the couch as I entered the house. It is safe to say that I was completely surprised. It was during the beginnings of the Moral Majority and Dr. Falwell was all over the news. He was very kind and very approachable that afternoon. He acted like he was genuinely interested in knowing about me and did not view me as a potential religious right vote. Just a guy that was interested in what was going on in a preacher's kid teenage life.

I will always remember Dr. Falwell as a man who was down-to-earth, personable and genuinely interested in a teenage kid. Dr. Falwell, you will be missed. Thanks for showing me the importance of investing in lives.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Pretty cool story about Dr. Falwell, Paul.