Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Virginia Tech Tragedy

I have waited to post about the killings at Virginia Tech trying to figure out how to respond to such news. First off, I cannot imagine what the families of the victimes are going through right now. I know that I have spent quite a bit of time praying for those injured and the families of those who were injured or killed.

No way to make sense of all of this. The more we learn about the shooter the more we realize just how lost of an individual he was. I cannot help but think about the shooter's parents and the horror and sadness they must be experiencing too. I cannot help but think about the number of opportunities this young man must have had to choose to act and think differently and for whatever reason, chose to kill. I wonder what churches, community organizations, etc. might have tried to reach out to this young man and no real connection was made. It is obvious that he was not in a "normal" pattern of thinking. In the last few years, he had been involved with some special care and released.

It is truly a tragedy. I wonder what student out there is needing for some one to reach out to them and rescue them from feelings of purposelessness. I wonder who it is that I need to come alongside of and show genuine care and concern? I know that evil is real. I know that it is defeated but I must get involved to help others know that truth.

No comments: