Wednesday, October 28, 2009

$1.15 Billion US

The new Cowboys Stadium is amazing. It also cost a boat load of money and all of the hype surrounding this stadium has me thinking. Those of you who know me well know that thinking is not my strongest asset, but here are some of my thoughts. I guess it works in my mind that people like Jerry Jones would want to build monuments to themselves under the guise of building stadiums.

But... that is a lot of money. I mean a lot. I could do the figures and figure out just how much that is, but I am thinking you could feed and clothe alot of people for that amount of money. I have traveled some around the world and seen just a small portion of the poverty that is out there and I tell you, $1.15 billion would buy alot of food and clothes and medicine. And, we play games in these buildings. Sounds sort of Roman Empirish to me.

And then it hits me. Many of our churches are monuments that we build and in many of those churches, we play games. We preach pablum and teach our students to be entertained and we complain when the carpet gets stained and the walls get dinged and the "wrong kind of people" come in. We spend on ourselves hoping that somehow what we spend on us will bleed over and help others. I am convicted. I am sickened by my own lack of love for those who are hungry and naked and sick. Makes me want to kick my own butt but God seems to be doing a good job of that right now. And, I need it. I need to be broken for the poor, hungry and the naked and the LOST. It is not enough for me to live "christianly" and not tell others about what God has done for me and them through His Son.

I do not have $1.15 billion US because I have not been faithful with what I do have. Why would I expect Him to give me more? I do not need to get more, I need to give all. That is the issue. And . . . I am praying this is not a passing phase for me.

1 comment:

Steve Elkins said...

Well said Brother...we are all guilty of not putting the focus where God would want it! I'll pray for you and myself that this is not a passing phase and that God will renew this fire in you daily!

Steve