Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Fat Tuesday

I have always been somewhat fascinated and perplexed by the whole idea of Fat Tuesday. I know that it is followed by Ash Wednesday which marks the beginning of Lent. Lent is observed leading to Easter and is taken from the idea of Jesus in the wilderness being tempted, etc. (I am not trying to be a theolog in this post, so excuse the simpleness.) The perplexing part of this for me is the "go crazy period" followed by the "deny yourself" period. I guess I know myself well enough that if I were to choose to go crazy, I would have no desire to deny myself at all. I know that Christ issued a pretty strong call in following Him: deny self, take up your cross, and follow Me. His words, not mine in italics.

I have been reminded recently that it is only by His grace are we able to follow after Him. I am far from perfect. I am thankful that I am forgiven. I want my life to be characterized by truth and grace. I want to be a forgiver, because I have been forgiven. On my own, I am a pretty sorry rascal. In Him, He has made me whole. It is a weird thing to be fallen and whole and the same time. Hebrews 10:14 reminds me that I am perfect. Crazy. I am perfect positionally because He has made me whole.

A quick update on Morgan - she had her dual scope tests yesterday and initial reports showed no abnormalities. Her stomach continues to hurt. She has little energy. She is still pretty funny for sure, but we would appreciate your prayers for her and for all of us as we try to figure out what is going on.

I have added a new Upcoming Speaking Engagements sidebar to the blog for those of you who care where I am and for those of you who are just curious.

The DCA girls' basketball team is in the finals of the 8-AA district tournament tonight against Station Camp. They are better than we are and we are looking forward to our girls playing well tonight.

No comments: