Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Smart Kids

I like this kid. I like people who decide that when something "that can't be done" becomes, "done it" and make it happen. This New Jersey 17-year-old spent about 500 hours and with the help of a few buddies, broke the lock that AT&T had on their monopoly for the iPhone. I even think he did it all legally.

I wonder when it is that most people just decide that stuff that can't be done, really can't and just settle for status guo. I have been guilty of that in the past and usually wake up some morning sick because I bought the lie that something was impossible. I turn 44 in a couple of weeks and I guess I am looking back on a few of those "I just settled times" and regret them. I have not done the "just settling" stuff much, but far too many times.

I do not have an iPhone because I really can't afford one and my current phone actually still works pretty well. And, I am glad that it does. I do not want to settle for trying to get the latest thing just because I want it. In fact, I hope I never chase after stuff again just because it would be cool to have it. I want to settle for the things that really matter, like . . . my wife and daughters and the chance to show grace and mercy to others. I will settle for that.

No comments: