Monday, August 20, 2007

Heat

Odd things happen in the heat. Most people know that one has to be careful not to overdo it in the heat. With Nashville now in the hottest month on record ever in this fair town, it seems the heat is bringing out the best and worst in some. Many people are reaching out to help others by providing fans and window a/c units. Neighbors are checking on one another and most people are handling the heat and their neighbors pretty well.

Some, on the other hand, are not handling it very well. There are many people who are hot, tired and angry and their fuses are pretty short. I told my wife the other day that I was hot and had been for a couple of days, so a couple of hours later she hugged me and then said, "Gosh!. You're hot!" Sometimes that is an exciting thing to hear from her after 22 years of marriage, but she was only talking about the heat of my body. (Better luck next time I guess.)

I have talked to some friends who have quite a bit of upper respiratory infection due to the heat and bad air quality and the dr. asks them if they have been feeling hot. Hmmm. 100 plus degrees most of the month and drs. are asking patients if they have been feeling hot. Sounds like I missed my calling.

Schools got out a half day today due to the heat. What are those poor kids doing in AZ where the temp. is over 100 for most of their lives? My yard is dead, it looks like fall driving down my street, and people are not out walking their dogs or jogging. Heck, it is even too hot to go out and play golf. Nah! it's never too hot to play golf.
And . . . we need rain. We got a little last night. When I came out this morning it looked like someone had spit on the road. We could use a lot more of that rain stuff, and soon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

haha. your posts are so funny, because I can just hear you saying it.