Thursday, January 13, 2011

Good "Trip" in India

What a day yesterday (Thursday) was. I started out with some personal Bible study time and then went out for my morning run. About a mile in, I was trying to avoid some traffic, jumped up on a "sidewalk" and next thing I knew I was falling down in slow motion. I almost caught myself but eventually hit the ground. A car and motorcycle stopped and a woman came running to make sure I was ok. I was ok and got up laughing at myself. I skinned my knee a little and took a small hunk of flesh out of my left palm, but all in all, it was very minor. I usually fall once every 5 yrs or so and am hoping that covers it for a long time.

Yesterday's ministry started w/ giving a devotion out of Hebrews 12 and the great cloud of witnesses watching us in the race. I shared my running story and they all seemed to relate. We made many home visits and some of the stories of the people are just overwhelming. I visited a family I had visited the last time I was here who are the picture I envision when I think of India. The mother's name is Anathema (something close to that spelling), she is about 27 w/ three children (14, 13, 12). The oldest daughter has epilepsy and struggles so much. Monica the middle child is very bright and the young son is very bright as well and in school. This is a very poor family and the husband/dad left them almost 12 years ago. They are picture of incredible faithfulness in very difficult circumstances. This family has captured my heart. I am asking you to pray for them. I have included a picture of them so you can see who you will be praying for. They live in a very small hut and it is a very poor situation. The mother, Anathema is the small woman on the far right.

Last night I spoke again in a cottage church meeting on the role of parents in their childrens' lives and the people are so receptive. What an incredible blessing it is to be with these people. I am so encouraged by their faithfulness and convicted by their walk and how I get so caught up in stuff and miss Christ so many times. God is breaking me once again.

It is Friday am here now and I went for a run but was only able to do a mile because of many small fires in the streets. Pangol is a holiday here where they bring out last year's things and burn them in the streets welcoming new things in the coming year. It is a Hindu festival and they paint colorful pictures/designs on the ground in front of their homes. I will try to get a picture and post tomorrow.

Thanks so much for praying for this trip.

No comments: