Saturday, June 12, 2010

Leadership Two

Okay so my last post on the whole leadership thing has brought quite a few comments and one of the statements I made in particular has resonated and concerned some posters.

Here it is -
Surrounding ourselves with people just like us is dangerous. We fail to recognize that we could be wrong.

Here is a little background on why I made that statement. In looking through the group of Twelve that Jesus hand picked to be his disciples, there is great diversity of occupation and thinking. He called a couple of sets of brothers, fishermen, a zealot (anti-gov't) and a tax collector (gov't guy). Not to mention a guy who He knew would betray him and another deny Him. In no way am I thinking that Jesus went into His Dad's mission thinking He might make a mistake, but he chose 12 not only for immediate Kingdom work, but Kingdom work that would continue even through today and beyond.

If Jesus thought it important to grab 12 from many walks of life, ideals, occupations, and diversity of thought, why would we do any less?

I am sure this post might stir a little conversation too. I just think that Jesus' lessons on leadership are worth emulating. It is easier for me if I only surround myself with people who think like me, but I think it is wrong for me to do so. It is not about it being easier on me, but emulating Christ. I have a lot to learn.

Saw this quote on leadership today via twitter -
The most effective leadership is by example, not edict. Anonymous

May I walk in a way that brings Him glory.

No comments: