Thursday, June 17, 2010

Good Leaders

The last couple of posts I have done have dealt with leadership and leaders surrounding themselves with people who have diverse ideas than them. Surrounding yourself with people just like you is a very precarious position to be in as a leader.

This week I attended the SBC as an observer. I went to work the LifeWay booth as part of my work assignment. I enjoyed seeing old friends and making new ones and especially encouraging pastors and youth leaders.Many of those who attend the SBC use this event as their family vacation and it is always fun to play with the kids and talk with the teenagers who come with their families.

One of the things that stood out to me this year was the evidence of good leadership displayed by good leaders. Kevin Ezell of High View in Louisville, KY was the President of the SBC Pastor's Conference this year and did a great job of getting a diverse group of speakers to challenge and encourage attendees. Kevin is one of those younger leaders (we are about the same age so I consider him a younger leader), who understands that our convention has got to get at it differently if we are to move forward in this Kingdom Work. He put together a platform that displayed freshness and honor of those who have paved the way for a new day for Southern Baptists.

Another leader who I watched in action was Johnny Hunt. The way he honored all opinions during the discussion of the GCR proposal and vote showed graciousness and wisdom. Wherever one stood on the GCR, I witnessed a leader handle the issues and not get caught in emotion.

I also watched LifeWay President Thom Rainer defuse a potentially volatile situation in the Q&A portion of the LifeWay report. I have much to learn and am thankful for his example of leading with compassion, truth and grace. I am thankful that I have the opportunity to work where I do.

In using these examples of good leaders, I am not necessarily saying that I agree with all of their ideas and actions, but they displayed great leadership.  I think one of the things that I am learning (slowly some of my friends might add) is that it is important to listen, watch and learn all that you can from whoever you can. And some of the best lessons in leadership can be learned by not just looking at leaders in a position but those people who are influencers regardless of their position.

I have much to learn.

No comments: