Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Pushing On Farther than You Think You Can Go

This past week has been a good one. It has included long runs for marathon training, a trip to Orlando for the Youth Pastor's Summit and a DCA Lady Wildcats basketball win, as well as, a guys loss.

A good friend and former boss lost his dad this past week and is burying him today. Pray for Joe and his brother Jerry please. Their daddy was a great guy and has left a great legacy for these two and their families. His daddy lived a long productive life and in many ways pushed on farther than many thought he could go.

USA Hockey definitely went farther in the Olympics than many thought they would or even could. The DCA Lady Wildcats have pushed on through a couple of weeks of less than stellar playing but have won because they thought they could. They play in the state semi-finals tomorrow and if they win will play Sat for the state championship. I am proud of all the girls. Regardless of the outcome, they have been exemplary. At the most, Sondra and I will have a girl on the team for two more games. Hard to believe our girls' playing days are coming to an end.

My running and training for Boston have definitely been difficult this winter. I am not getting any younger and the weather has been a challenge for me but I am continuing to push. We will see.

I led a breakout session for a little over 100 youth ministry folks at the Youth Pastor's Summit on Avoiding Burnout. At times we have to learn to do less in order to do more intentionally. We spent alot of time in Romans 5 and other related Scripture. I found out a long time ago that if I give them what I think, it is fleeting, if I give them Him and His Word, it remains.

I desire to make much of Jesus in my life. At times I do well and at other times I find myself trying to put myself out there rather than Christ.

A good friend of mine, Jeff Lovingood, who is a self-described "just a country boy youth minister" was given the Lifetime Achievement Award yesterday at the Youth Pastor's Summit. It was well deserved because Jeff has pushed through many adversities to become a faithful servant of Christ. Thankful for his friendship and leadership.

I am praying that I never settle. Do just enough to get by. Press play when I am delivering a "talk" to youth ministers and volunteers. I want to continue to push on farther that I think I can go.

What about you? What are you pushing on? Are you settling?

No comments: