Friday, March 5, 2010

Turn the Page

Yesterday was a page turning day for the Turners. Morgan walked off the basketball court for the last time in her high school career. The DCA Lady Cats played their hearts out this season and especially yesterday in the state semis and came up a little short in the game. The final score was 58-56 and was probably one of the best games I have seen this group of girls play. They have nothing to be ashamed of at all. They left it on the court to use that old cliche'. I was proud, very proud as a fan of the players, coaches and the fans.

I reserve my greatest pride for a girl that just happens to look like me, think like me too many times, and who showed me something in her that I thought was there, but have seen it blossom beautifully especially in the last few weeks. Number 21, Sr. Morgan Turner is one of the kids that I am not very objective about. She is ours. She leaves her stuff laying around the house, is notorious for leaving her clean clothes in the clothes basket to live out of daily, and who captured our hearts over 18 years ago when she showed up early one morning in January. She along with her sister Shelbi have had very good athletic and academic careers. They have brought great joy and happiness to their mother and me.

I remember a little of 18 years ago announcing to a congregation that "Morgan Paige Turner was born early yesterday" and as I said it, it dawned on me that we had named our daughter Paige Turner. Sounded sort of funny when I said it out loud. I am glad we had already decided that we would call her Morgan. Thankfully we did not set her up for ridicule for all her life being a paige turner.

So . . . we turned a page. I am going to miss not having one of ours on a soccer field, volleyball or basketball court. I will get past that. I am excited about watching our girls continue to grow and become more like Him in their college years and beyond. I am a blessed husband and dad.

Proud of you Morgan and the whole team and coaching staff of the Lady Cats. What a great run. Thankful to all who have invested in our girls up to this point and excited about what God has in store.

The pic above is of the 5 Srs. on this year's Lady Cats team. Morgan is the second from the right.

3 comments:

Brad Smith said...

What a great example of a dad for me (and other young dads) to follow. Thanks, bro!

faithrunner said...

My youngest is getting married in 8 days. I can share the bitter-sweet joy of turning another page.

running with you, friend

Trisha said...

You have a beautiful family! Love you all and hope my two turn out as great as yours :)