Thursday, February 14, 2013

Loving Teachings or a Person?

Happy Valentine's Day and especially to my beautiful wife, Sondra. I believe this is #29 for us although my math gets a little fuzzy. I know we have been married 27 years (28 in May) and we sort of had our eye on one another for awhile before that so it is either 28 or 29. Doesn't really matter in the long run. She has captured my heart forever, so there.

Reflecting on my love for Sondra has caused me to think about my love for Christ. I have to admit that the majority of my life I have placed way too much emphasis on the teachings of Christ and not the person of Christ. It is easier for me to read scripture, study it and teach it like it is a textbook or like I have a position of authority in others' life, but that is not reality. Reality is that Christ came, lived and died so that I could have a personal relationship with him, a person, rather than just a keen understanding and an "upper hand" in spiritual matters with others.

Christ desires that I love Him, not just teachings about Him. I love Sondra, not because of things that I have heard about her, but because I have met her, been captured by her beauty and love. True, she gets her point across and the "rules" she wants me to live by, but I do not love her because of what others have told me about her, but because I have come to know her. Christ longs for the same. I am learning. Slowly at times. I desire to be captured by His beauty and His love. The person of Christ, not just some cool things I have heard and learned about Him along the way.

No comments: