Monday, February 25, 2013

Calling All Servers

So many times I realize that I can be such an arrogant jerk. You might be thinking that sounds like I am being too hard on myself (or in full agreement), but I have a window on my heart that is usually closed off to others.

As I write this, I am on a regional jet flying to Salt Lake City. I am crammed into an exit row seat sitting next to a guy who is taking his seat and about a third of my seat. He's nice enough but HE'S TAKING MY SPACE. And my arrogance and "rights" rise to the front of my brain. "I am being cheated out of what is rightfully mine" is playing over and over in my mind.

And here comes the flight attendant who is serving us, a bunch of travelers, who "deserve to be respected and served with the utmost service because we paid for those peanuts and soft drinks."

And then I open the presentation I am doing this weekend that talks about serving and honoring others because that is not only what Jesus talked about/taught, but what He modeled. Take a look at Mark 10 and John 3.

God, thank you for your grace and for saving me from my sinful, prideful self. Thanks for bringing me from death to life. - Colossians 1

Make me "guilty" of thinking and acting like you and that only comes by surrendering to you.


No comments: