Thursday, February 21, 2013

Purpose

This past weekend, Sondra and I headed to the "mountains" of Georgia to lead a youth leaders' retreat for a local GA church. It was good that Sondra was with me. Lots of travel lately so spending time in the car together was awesome. The more I am around her just helps me to realize how blessed I am to be married to her.

One of the major tasks of the weekend for the youth leaders was to make sure they understood their purpose and to make sure they were pulling toward the same goal. It was a great time and they are a really strong team of volunteers. Their youth minister is doing a great job of leading them. It was fun to help them evaluate and affirm much of what they are doing. They arrived at a couple of things that they do, which are good things, but things that can be strengthened with a few tweaks. They were willing to question methods, evaluate and make changes. It was healthy and fun and I was honored to be a part of the process.

It reminded me the importance of being honest not only with results, but also the processes used to achieve the results. I have to admit that evaluating and making changes is hard work. I, too many times, fall into the trap of believing that things are okay as they are. Blinders wreck businesses, relationships, churches and lives. Attack the processes but never the people.

Never are we called to be jerks to people. Some will bristle at evaluating and making changes. Do not allow others to be victims and do not be a perpetrator yourself.

I have much to learn on both sides of the spectrum. I am learning to lead by serving from whatever position I have been given.

No comments: