Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday

Growing up as a protestant (Southern Baptist) kid in the Midwest, I really did not get the whole "Fat Tuesday, Mardi Gras, Ash Wednesday" thing. To be completely honest, I am not sure I understand the whole concept now. I never really grew up around Catholics or anyone that participated in Lent. (I realize that it is not only Catholics that participate.) About the only thing I can remember from my early days is that we made fun of people who gave up stuff during Lent that really did not matter. Most of the things my friends gave up were minor in my opinion.

I have bristled against religious stuff. The rituals I did not understand I just discounted as meaningless rigor and punishment for being of a faith that thought you ought to deprive yourself of some things for the good of the greater cause. I pretty much judged people for doing that because it was their tradition. No real meaning, just tradition.

Then . . . I began to think about the stuff I do participate in as a protestant because I think it is going to put me in a better stead or position with God. Pretty lame I know. I think so too. I find myself falling back into those traps too many times. I am giving up stupid, "me" thinking for Lent. 40 days would be a great start, but I am planning on making it a life long pursuit. Tired of religion, religious practice for me without meaning, and judging others for doing things differently than I think they should. My focus is on "truth and grace". Praying that God keeps me so focused and busy on that, I do not have time to waste on being critical and judgmental. Would appreciate your prayers for me in this endeavor. And . . . if you choose to not pray, cool, I won't judge you for that.

No comments: