Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Post-Election Thoughts

Congratulations to the Democrats for soundly trumping a less than stellar Republican candidate and for hopefully waking up the Republican Party which has been pretty much on "checked our brains at the door" status for a few years. I did not vote for Obama (check that Bronwyn, - I did not vote for Obama) but will do all that I can to support him. His ideology is definitely different than mine, but I respect the office and will respect him in that office. Does not mean I have to agree with him and his policies but I will pray for him and his administration. I think it is great that an African-American has been voted as President as well. And . . . his two daughters are just precious looking.

The Republican Party has hopefully learned from the past few years of trying to be Democrats that it does not work. Be Republican through and through while you are in office and in charge or end up where we are now. On the outside looking in.

I am thankful that my hope and trust has not ever been in the government (no more now or less than in years past) but in God whom I am committed to serving. I will pray and support our leaders but my allegiance is to Christ. Hands down.

On to other things - this past weekend was a good one in Pittsburgh for the YS Convention. The LifeWay Student Ministry team that was there was just stellar. So much fun to be around and so articulate in helping student leaders know that we are about developing students and not just trying to build student ministries. We even got a great picture button together. Big fun.

Sondra, Morgan and Shelbi are all doing pretty well. Sondra is subbing quite a bit at DCA and really enjoys the students even when she is subbing for the band teacher. I think it is pretty loud in there. Morgan is in the throes of basketball practice and all that brings from Coach Schierling and his staff. Bret is tough on them but they love him and will work hard for him. I think he is a pretty doggone good coach. Shelbi is still loving Union and navigating the waters of first semester challenges in classes and relationships but is handling both of them pretty well.

I am traveling way too much right now but it is heavy training time. The seminar I led on Monday am in Pittsburgh for YS went really well. I am probably pretty conservative for most of the crowd and just really tried to stay biblical rather than focus on my thoughts. It was good times. I am in Kansas and Missouri now and this weekend meeting with youth ministers, my family and little bit and then leading a conference out in Salina, KS with my good friend Terry McIllvain who has forgotten more about students than I have ever known. Just a great guy.

Pray for my dad who seems to be having some reaction to some meds they had him on that appears to have done some nerve damage. We will know more soon. Sondra's mom continues to do pretty good but we sure appreciate you praying for her and the rest of us as we work through the grieving process of losing Bernard.

No comments: