Saturday, October 26, 2013

Hero Worship - Do We Need Another Hero?

I am a little hesitant to even write this post because it could be perceived that I am "calling out" some folks or possibly setting myself up as being better than others. I will have to trust that those of you who really know me will understand that I am writing from a a perspective that is not mean or vindictive. If you do not know me and just happen on this blog, give me the benefit of a doubt. Or, totally disagree. Either way is really okay.

Hero Worship is really nothing new. By definition is foolish or excessive adulation for an individual (Merriam-Webster) There are different levels of hero worship from mild to all out lunacy. Some synonyms would be: adoreadulatecanonizedeifydote (on)hero-worship,worship and to be honest, I get that we are wired to worship, make a hero out someone or something. I live in SEC country and it is fair to say that during this time of year (football season) all kinds of Hero Worship rears its' head. And . . .  I am guilty of this as well. I mean, MIZZOU is undefeated and ranked #5 right now, the KC Chiefs (the bane of the NFL last season) are currently undefeated at 7-0 and the only remaining undefeated NFL team.

In religious circles, there are many heroes that are being lifted up and others who are falling by the wayside. There are people who are convinced that their guy (rarely any ladies get much airplay in evangelical circles) is the one that God has his hand on. I am thankful God uses people. . . People who are in the public limelight, and people who are in the smaller, remote areas of the world just serving Him and very few, if any, people know that they even exist. I believe there is truth that must be defended. I believe that there are many who show up in sheep's clothing who are very potentially, well . . . wolves. 

Leaders can be guilty of jockeying for position and feigning humility. Others try to attach themselves to leaders hoping some of it will "rub off" on them or they can ride some coat tails. Posturing and positioning happens on little league teams to religious institutions/denominations. Governments run on this sort of principle and strategy as well. And . . . it is nothing new and is really not a jab at our current US government mess. We have been posturing for this position as a nation for years and have been okay with it. We can get so focused on "getting ahead" that we take our attention and focus of the end game.

I believe that I have much to learn. I believe it is good to associate with others, invest in others and learn from others. I also believe it is a very dangerous thing to make people heroes. Our heroes have weaknesses. You know it and I know it, but still we long to fill our weaknesses with things/people hoping they will bring us freedom. And . . . we associate because we long for strength, power and control. We desire to be a part of the Inner Ring that C.S. Lewis talked about here

Great stories include a villain and hero. The greatest story includes a God who loves and takes His own Son, sends Him to die for a people who absolutely have no hope for life on their own. I really want to be guilty of worshiping that Hero and that Hero alone. It is that Inner Ring that matters most. Not so I can look down on others, but so that He may be glorified.

(For clarification - I believe there are legitimate examples of people who have done heroic things for their families, their country and for complete strangers to save lives, etc. I am not referring to those instances and people but to those who are seeking a position through posturing and for personal gain. I am grateful for those who have served, are serving their countries to preserve a free and healthy way of life.)

No comments: