Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Oh, To Make a Change

I am sure that many from my generation (basically, not as old as dirt, but not young either) thought of Michael Jackson when you read the title. It is true, that without change, we will not become who we are designed to be. I really am one that says that I embrace change, but actually at times, I take change very hard.

We have been through some amazing change in recent days at my job. Many have lost their jobs and that is always difficult. Many people have been displaced. From all that I hear, my employer did a very fair job of taking care of those displaced by offering career counseling and a number of other helpful resources.

I experience some survivor's guilt every time there is a downsizing in employees and always remain grateful that I get to do what I get to do. My personal challenge is to never grow lazy or complacent in my job or in any phase of my life. I am beginning to learn that change really can be a very positive thing and without change, we would die.

My head very quickly gets to the decisions that were made. My heart is lagging behind a little. I have friends and co-workers effected by this change. I fully trust that God has each of them in His hands. He is not, nor was He surprised. I trust our leaders who had to make some very difficult decisions.

I am committed to never become complacent or entitled. It is poor stewardship of the talents and gifts that God has provided me. You and I are of value because He brings value to our lives. In following Christ, I must constantly be about change, because as Henry Blackaby says, "I cannot go with God and stay where I am."

Make that change.

1 comment:

J Bussell said...

This is a great post. Not because people have lost their job, because like you my heart hurts for those that have been put in tough situations. I am thankful for the reminder to not get complacent. It's so easy to get used to the same old routine and become complacent and/or entitled. Thanks for this reminder!