Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I am NOT . . .

I realize with a title like that I am potentially opening myself to a lot of sarcasm from those who know me well. I am NOT a lot of things:
- a great athlete
- a math whiz (Sondra is keenly aware of this one)
- very good at staying up late (I get up too early I suppose)
- very quiet in the stands when watching ballgames (thus give me a mic and let me announce)
- a very good romantic (confession on Valentine's Day)
- an extrovert (I have an adapted style of relating to others and genuinely like people, just my strength is gained in solitude)
- an unselfish person
- non-judgmental
- gracious as my default
- on and on, ad nauseum

What I am longing NOT to be is the center of my universe. I am really good at convincing myself that the world and God for that matter, revolve around me. It shows itself in so many ways. You might be able to relate to a couple and unfortunately, you have seen these in me.
- hollering at officials/refs who are lazy and do not get in position to make calls
- hollering at drivers who go slow in the fast lane and who just generally do not get out of my way
- look in Scripture for how I can overcome sin & never acknowledge He has already overcome it and I cannot overcome it on my own
- use Scripture to prove my point rather than help someone else know of God's grace
- on and on, ad nauseum.

What I am really NOT is . . . the center of it all. Christ is and through His grace I am realizing and living that way more and more.

If you have not read, Die Young, by Hayley & Michael DiMarco, then don't if you are not really interested in burying yourself in Christ. It is a "good" read, but a painful one for me.

No comments: