Thursday, November 10, 2011

Oh My, Joe Pa

What a sad turn of events in the last few days with the Penn State University child molestation scandal. What seemingly was a clean, above the board program, was, in fact, one of the most vile. In no way am I trying to grandstand and take advantage of an opportunity to rail against someone else, but it is an opportunity for me to learn from so that I and others do not repeat the same mistake.

I am a Jo Pa fan, or have been for many years. I liked the black and white, no frills approach to football. I liked the way that he coached hard nosed football. I liked that he coached from the box, when a few years back, he got hit on the sideline and broke his leg. There are so many things that I liked about Joe Pa. But there is one thing that I cannot stand about him now that it has come out; he values football, appearance, and fame above young boys, their families, players, etc. What he did legally was a good start, but when it was evident that the University "legal" system was not going to act properly on the intelligence they received, he did nothing further. And, because he valued football above everything else, many boys and their families were forever scarred. It could have been handled differently. It should have been handled differently. All the good he has done for his players in helping them develop character, teamwork, unity, etc. cannot be negated nor should it be. But, . . . all of the pain and suffering endured by young boys and their families by Mr. Predator Sandusky cannot be negated either. Much of it could have been averted . . . and Jo Pa did nothing further than what was his "legal" obligation.

It is a very sad day and time. But, . . . it has been many sad days and years for the true victims of Mr. Sandusky's predatory ways. May God be merciful to those who are the true victims. May God restore their lives and may He show them true purpose that comes through Him.

Jo Pa, evidently you are an incredible coach.I have admired you for years for your coaching prowess. Unfortunately, there are more important things in life than football. Thanks for reminding me that nothing is more important or more valuable than real, live people. It is for people that Christ came and died and rose again to redeem us back to Himself. I am praying for the victims and their families. I am praying for you. I am praying for Mr. Sandusky. I am praying for myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good perspective Paul. Thanks for sharing.