Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Fast-paced Kind of Life

Seasons come and seasons go and I am reminded of Ecclesiastes where there is "a time for everything". The FUGE camp theme this summer is Kairos - meaning "a defining moment" and each day a certain Bible character and character trait are explored, expounded, and never exhausted.

This theme has been impactful on me this summer. I am in my 6th week of some part of FUGE camps this summer. Ridgecrest twice, Union University, North Greenville University, and Jenness Park in California. I have seen the same video clips, studied the same Bible study lessons, led pretty much the same leadership training lessons, but have heard different takes on the character/character trait in sermons. All of these have contributed to me "getting it" in a number of ways. From funny illustrations, hard core Biblical sermons, poignant illustrations and stories, God has quickened my heart and mind to really focus on the Kairos. Defining moments in life that God brings our way and wonders if we will choose to be loving; be obedient; willing to sacrifice; be a person of integrity; and commit to His way. Regardless. I am thankful for each of these lessons and sermons and illustrations that have been shared primarily for the benefit of students, but have taught this trainer that God is Who He says He is, not who I try to make Him be.

On another note, today, July 21st is my mom's birthday. She would be 68 today. All of those themes that we have studied at camp this summer, my mom modeled for me. How blessed I am. I miss her today probably more than I have in a long time. Sometimes I long just to hear her voice say my name one more time. I know that is purely selfish on my part. I will work through that, but oh, how blessed I am to have had my mom for 44 years. I am including one of my fave pics of her from many years ago. Love you mom. Thanks for investing in my life and the lives of so many others.

No comments: