Saturday, June 16, 2007

Father's Day

I guess this is my 17th Father's Day coming up tomorrow and it makes me thankful that God has allowed me to be a dad. I can think of many times that I have come up far short of being a good dad, but there are a few times I remember that I have gotten it right. Those are the ones I want to repeat.

I want to comment on my dad in this post. Dad turned 67 this May and is still preaching and enjoying life. This past year has been pretty hard on him, taking care of mom through her cancer surgery and subsequent chemo and radiation treatments. I know that it has aged him some. I can hear it in his voice. It is always weird to me this changing relationship that I find myself in with my dad. Dad is one of the godliest men that I know. He genuinely loves people and loves my mom. I never have doubted that he loves my brother and me. He has shown it through the years and he always verbalizes that he loves me.

A few years ago I wrote an article about my dad that was published entitled, Lessons I Learned from My Dad (and continue to learn). Dad has taught me how to live as a honorable man. He taught me how to love my wife, by him loving my mom. He taught me how to throw a ball that later in life I hit him with when my brother and I would pitch to him in our back yard. He taught me how to light a campfire by throwing gasoline and a match and then running. He taught me how to be honest in all my dealings and relationships. And, I could go on and on. Now he is teaching me how to grow older and to finish strong. I can not imagine my life without my dad. Oh, I know the time will come that dad will pass, but I am selfish and pray that he lives to be an old man, with a continued gentle word and a strong love for his Lord. I am blessed.

Dad, I love you. Thanks for all that you have taught me and continue to teach me by the way you live. Thanks for taking care of my mom. She needs you and you need her.

Don't preach too long tomorrow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy Father's Day!! You are an absolutely great role model. Thanks so much, Paul.

Justin