Friday, November 30, 2012

No Blog November?

It seems that the best made plans are really worthless unless one carries out those plans. And . . . so that pretty sums up my blogging habits this month. I always plan to update the blog and then distractions and busyness creep in and well . . . I end up apologizing in the first blog post back.

I headed to Dallas the weekend before Thanksgiving for the Youth Specialties conference. It always proves a good time meeting with youth leaders and catching up with old friends. Being back in Dallas was good too, although we were downtown. Much has changed in Dallas since we moved away in 1989. It was good to run in few areas that I ran in long ago and the weather was nice.

I took the week of Thanksgiving as vacation and thoroughly enjoyed the time off. I played golf one day; raked leaves in an exercise of futility (the yard looked great for about 4 minutes); and, enjoyed basically being a bum.

Thanksgiving was simply wonderful with my dad and nephew, Mark, Shelbi and Morgan home and many friends over for the big feast. It is such a blessing to be around family. We are blessed to not only love one another but to like each other as well, so the drama and stress are extremely low. I did a little 5k race on Thanksgiving morning and ran pretty well for an older guy. The weather was good and the course was a little hilly but overall a good time. On Saturday, we loaded up and went to see Skyfall (new James Bond movie) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I am a sucker for Bond anyway.

This week has been busy with work and DCA Wildcats basketball games in the evenings. I love announcing and watching ball so it is not hard work but getting up early after vacation and staying out for ballgames has made me a little tired this week. Big fun though. Last night Sondra and I went to McGavock High School's Christmas Choir event and it was very good as usual. Our long time friend, Mitch, directs the choir there and just does an amazing job getting students to do more than they think they ever could.

This weekend will be filled with more DCA basketball; Christmas decorations; and a quick trip for work to Atlanta. This next week will be busy with our State Youth Leaders here Tues-Thurs and lots of work before the Christmas holidays.

No comments: