Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Lessons from Four-year-olds

Yesterday was my turn to work in ETC at church and once again, I learned alot. I am not really sure if I am working with older 3s, younger 4s, and I think there were a couple of 5s in the mix. Regardless, there were a bunch of them and yesterday started out  mild and then got cranked up. . . cranked up in a hurry.

Our Bible study was based on Elijah praying for rain and I thought it would be awesome if we mixed in some water balloons for special effects. The kids were pumped but we settled for water colors instead. The two other adults in the class overruled us all. (I went down fighting.)

I won't mention names of kids, in order to not break any laws unknowingly. They are an eclectic bunch. Some of them I have learned who their parents are but the majority of them are just kids that I know through that one Sunday a month connection. I see them in other areas of the church at other times and we acknowledge each other, but most of my interaction with them is in the "Purple" classroom one Sunday a month.

There are the quiet kids; the not-so-quiet kids; the toy players; the lap sitters; the ones who love to use me as a jungle gym; those that like to play by themselves; and those who need a lot of attention. Much like adults actually. I always walk away from the room with at least these two thoughts; 1. Thank God Sondra and I do not have a young one in our home constantly at this point in life. Not against kids by any stretch, but they flat out wear me out. 2. Every person needs Jesus and I have the privilege and responsibility to do all that I can to help them discover who He is.

Not all people discover Jesus the same way. All of us have a tendency to learn differently; to respond differently; to need for someone to accept us the way that we are, just love us too much to leave us that way.

I have so much to learn. I have One to present to everyone I meet and know.

No comments: