Wednesday, November 14, 2012

How Fun is That?!

The past couple of weeks have included less work travel so that has allowed for more family time on the weekends. And that is good. I love what I get to do work wise, but I am most fulfilled when I get to hang out with Sondra and the rest of our family.

I know over the years I have had to remind myself that what I get to do work wise does not determine who I really am. I have repeated that to myself many times and have shared that with many people I come in contact with in life. Our culture can deceive us into believing that real success is based upon how much you are "out there making a difference". I know that that if I am "out there" making a difference and my family is sucking wind and crumbling, then really I have taught our kids how to gain the whole world and lose their own soul. Definitely not something I want to be indicative of me.

A couple of weekends ago we headed to Rome, GA to hang out with Mark and Shelbi. Morgan came home from Union, we jumped in the car and made our way to GA and had a great weekend. How fun to see our kids embracing young adulthood and making a difference in others' lives. We slept in, ran some, hiked some, napped, shopped, ate, and watched some football; slept some more, attended church and headed back home. No earth shattering events but just big fun.

This past weekend, Sondra and I jumped in the car and headed to Knoxville (Maryville actually) and hung out with our friends, Ronald and Tami Kooch. They have been great friends of ours for many years even though we have not lived in the same city for over 16 years now. Ronald's company supplied us some UT/MIZZOU tickets where we experienced a football game like I never have before. His company owns a sky box so I was in way over my head. It was fun to spend time with them and the MIZZOU win was actually a lot of fun for me but not so much the rest of the people in the box we were in. I cheered quietly most of the time. It was fun to see UT coaching legend Johnny Majors and to meet past UT basketball coach, Bruce Pearl who did a lot for the men's basketball program before getting into some NCAA trouble a couple of seasons ago.

So thankful to spend time with family and friends these past couple of weekends. Looking forward to Thanksgiving this next week after a trip to Dallas and Youth Specialties this weekend.

No comments: