Monday, July 23, 2012

Overreaching?

At times I have these episodes of ranting, throwing up on a page and sort of "going off" on things that irritate or frustrate me. I am normally easy-going, docile, and pretty conservative about what I comment on. Too many times I am guilty of commenting on things/issues that I know very little about but come across as authoritative (at least in my own mind).

With all that said, there are a couple of things I feel compelled to comment on that in my opinion are good examples of overreaching.

One is the Roger Goodell and New Orleans Saints Bountygate issue. I am in no way supporting a system that would intentionally pay players to go "take out" people on the field, but, the NFL has a system set up for on the field play that monitors and controls the games. Officials are there to flag any plays that are deemed outside the rules of play. Mr.Goodell has been given too much authority and has over reached his responsibility in my opinion.

The whole Penn State debacle is sickening and you can read what I wrote earlier here. I am in no way trying to protect JoePa, Sandusky, or the Penn State program, but the NCAA ruling on how the school operates outside of the football program is beyond their responsibility. The sanctions were just announced and they are strong. The $60 million penalty that will be used to protect children and others from being abused is admirable. But the NCAA is set up to keep programs from getting an unfair advantage on the field. I am not sure how that applies. Please hear me, I am in no way trying to nullify or lessen the pain or atrocities of those children who were abused by Mr. Sandusky. I am just not sure how the NCAA brings sanctions on something that is not under their watch.

But, these two instances remind me of a great, short-coming in my own life. Many times I am guilty of overreaching and bringing judgment on those who I deem are unworthy or not "living up to their walk" in Christ.Too many times I play the role of the Holy Spirit in others' lives. I am slowly but surely learning to trust God and allow Him to do His work in others. I am learning to not pick up responsibility for things that I do not have authority over. Sometimes they are slow and painful lessons.

No comments: