Thursday, May 3, 2012

Reflections, Reflecting

This blog post is in the same vein as last week's on Busyness and my confession that too many times I try to find my worth in "being busy" or "in demand."

This week I boarded a plane for LA and met with the wonderful folks at UYWI. Bobby Duran is great guy who coordinates their training events and he also is a DJ and a manager for folks like Propaganda, Humble Beast and others. He is a guy who loves youth workers and students. I was encouraged just being around him. I also got to meet up with my friend Paul Kelly who is the youth prof at Golden Gate Seminary and we talked through some of the course offerings he is working on for coming semesters. Another guy who just encourages me, causes me to think and makes me sharper.

Yosemite Valley (w/ my iPhone)
Tuesday night I boarded a plane from LAX to Fresno where I have met and will be meeting with some youth pastors; Daryl Watts, the CA state youth guy; and training some folks that he uses as trainers throughout the state.

Sounds busy, but actually it is a lot of time working in the hotel, meeting, and a short trip up to Yosemite on Weds afternoon. Yosemite may be my favorite spot on earth, other than being next to Sondra. I sat on a rock, a number of them actually and just prayed and read. I am always fascinated, awed, overwhelmed by the beauty of Yosemite and especially Yosemite Valley. The waterfalls were spectacular, El Capitan and Half Dome were majestic, Cathedral Rocks were amazing and the time alone was refreshing.

A couple of times I just stood and looked in awe at the wonder of God's creation. And I reflected. I reflected on Him. I asked Him to make me more of a reflection of Him. I begged Him to allow me to reflect Him instead of my stupid self. I spent time just focusing on Him. I did not try to figure out the next talk; the next meeting; what to say or not say; I just focused on Him. It was refreshing. It was hard. I was reminded that I am a wretch and I am a sinner in need of a Savior. He is that Savior and He is the Sustainer. His grace is sufficient. I cannot do anything to make Him love me any more or any less than He already does.

I took this picture of me with Half Dome in the background. It reminded me that in Him, I am not half complete. He has made me whole. I do not have to work for my worth/wholeness. I am reflecting on that and continuing to ask Him to make me a reflection of Him.

No comments: