Friday, October 28, 2011

Does God Really Hate Sin?

I know that sounds like a stupid question to most of you who read this and you are quick to say, "Of course God hates sin." I am quick to agree with that He does hate sin but too many times I am quick to justify that what I might be thinking or wanting to do is "not really all that bad". It is called justifying my thoughts and actions in order to please me rather than honoring God.

The last few months I have been praying, asking, pleading with God to remind me just how much He hates sin. In fact my prayer has been, "God, help me to see sin as You see sin." It has been refreshing, painful, frustrating, energizing, etc. I wish I could say that I have a full understanding of God and sin and that sinful thoughts and actions are no longer a part of my life, but I cannot say that honestly yet. I know that my heart breaks when I watch others who love Him become deceived by their own desires and choose sin over His best for their lives. I know my heart breaks when I am confronted with my own sin. I long to honor Him in everything. It is my desire to do so because of my love for Him, not so that I can somehow get Him to love me more. He already loves me as much as He can. I cannot do anything to to effect how He loves me or anyone else.  I can take that pressure off of the table.

Today I heard of another one who has chosen to chase sin and its pleasure who has been incredibly effective in ministry. I do not say anything in judgment and pray that this individual will allow God to reveal to Him again how much He hates sin, but is so in love with the sinner. I am thankful that God accepts us the way that we are and that He loves us way too much to allow us to stay that way.

Sin cost Him His very Son's life. God help me to better understand how much You hate sin, and allow me to be the first to come alongside of those I know who need You to remind them how much You love them.

No comments: