Tuesday, August 17, 2010

People Watching

It was nice to be at home most of last week and then on Friday morning I headed out to Ft. Myers, FL to be a part of the SW FL SS Conference. I have to admit that I am not a big fan of Delta Airlines, in fact, most of the time I work hard avoiding their carrier. It was not an option this time so I boarded a flight to ATL (all flights on Delta go thru ATL) seated in a row with two of the largest men I have ever flown with. I had the aisle, they had the rest of the three seat row. I had about 2/3 of my seat. Arm rests up w/ the exception of the one on the aisle. It was buried about 6 inches into my ribs. But, I have to say, these two guys were extremely pleasant to be around. Not that large people are not pleasant, but many of them I have sat beside wedge into the seat and then spread out and just assume I want 1/3 of the seat I paid for and they can have the other 2/3s.

Most of the trip consisted of layovers. . . in fact, long layovers. Lots of sitting around. Lots of opportunities to meet people or stick my nose in a book. I actually did both. And then I people watched. I watched families on "last minute, right before school starts" trips, Hot, sweaty, tired, irritable, worn out families somehow who will get home and talk about the wonderful trip they had in spite of the big tiff they got into at the airport. Business people dressed to the nines and trying to be all professional and having to stand in long lines just like everyone else. Old people; young people; frustrated folks. and then a species of traveler who aimlessly walked through the terminal, smiling and seemingly oblivious to the fact that they should be scurrying somewhere because that is what you do in airports. And me, I sat and watched. I grinned at some; nodded at many; pitied some of the younger parents chasing their kids through the crowds; and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I like people. I like to watch them. I like to try and figure out their "story" in a few fleeting seconds as they pass by. I like to people watch.

And I like to catch someone else's eye who is people watching who sees the same scene being played out and just smile. We are watching people. And then it occurs to us that not only are we watching people, people are watching us. Always. What I do matters. People are watching. Am I representing Him in my constant walk? He is watching. Not to catch me doing something wrong, but because He delights in me. Because I am His. He cares. And because of that, I want to bring Him glory.

No comments: