Monday, April 22, 2013

Trying to Make Sense

The past couple of weeks have been busy with travel, conferences, training, and senseless bombings in Boston. Last Monday I was leading a group of youth ministers here at LifeWay and my phone started going off with text messages from all sorts of people. All of the texts had basically the same message: "Are you OK?"  For the first few minutes I had no idea why I would be getting these messages then one of them included that there had been a bomb at the Boston Marathon.

A couple of things raced through my mind, but more importantly, people came to mind. People I knew who were in Boston running the marathon. I have run it four times and every time it has been an amazing experience. I thought of Charlie and Ron Kramer who is a part of the Boston Athletic Association who puts the race on. I thought of Jim and Herb also who were running. And I felt conflicted in many ways. I was concerned for the safety of the ones I knew were there and I was thankful that people who know I run cared enough to check on me.

Within a few minutes I had heard from those I knew were there and they were okay, but there were many who were not okay. From the deaths of three individuals to so many people who were injured by the blasts. I became angry. I felt like my own "family" had been attacked. I am a hacker runner, but a Boston Marathon qualifier and finisher and those people are my people.

As the events unfolded this past week, a thought kept running through my mind. Christ died for those effected and for those who caused the chaos and terror. And I felt conflicted. I prayed for those families and individuals directly effected and I prayed that the perpetrators would be found and that there would be no more harm or injury. And, I prayed that God would capture the hearts and minds of those who did this evil thing. Not because I arrived at that by myself but I am learning to ask God to allow me to see people as He sees them. I am thankful that these two are not in a position to inflict pain and terror any more. I know one of those brothers is now dead and every indication is that he did not know Christ. I cannot rejoice in that. I am praying that God will capture the heart and mind of this 19-year-old. I believe he needs to be brought to justice according to our national laws and I am praying that He will allow Christ to become real to him.

I once was an enemy of Christ, but through His grace, he brought me from death to life.

No comments: