Friday, January 18, 2013

What Season Is It? The Answer Could Be Risky

When I think of seasons, there are many images that come to mind. The natural, physical weather seasons definitely can paint a picture whether it be Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall. Most of you who know me, know that warmer seasons are too my liking.

As I get older, people talk about seasons of life. Sondra and I are now out of the child-rearing season for the most part and definitely out of the child-bearing season unless God decides to play a practical joke.

Sports have their seasons as well and I know many of my friends are huge college football fans, but college basketball is my favorite season. I like football. I love basketball. It is a good season right now for me. Go MIZZOU!

Ministry has seasons too it seems. And, at times, those seasons are not clearly marked like the seasons in a year or the seasons of life. These ministry seasons can get a little murky at times and actually confusing if one is prone to focus on the situations/circumstances rather than the One who controls the seasons.

Our pastor has been sharing vision and direction for the coming year of ministry at our church and he began to mention and talk about risk. I have always be a little risk averse but have tried to portray myself as someone who likes risk and new things. And, I do to some extent.

Lately in my times with God in the morning and the backdrop of our pastor's messages, I have been thinking/praying/reading and focusing on risk.

My conclusion is this - The greater risk is not the task/circumstance/action but the greatest risk is in not trusting fully the One who can be trusted. I am praying that God will show me Himself in such a way that I will live the reality that not trusting Him is the greatest risk of all.

God, help me see You and trust and follow You wherever/whenever You send me.

No comments: