Thursday, September 20, 2012

Out of the Blue . . . and In Touch

An odd thing happened the other night while Sondra and I were getting caught up on a long running, summer TV show called The Closer. We enjoy that show and have kept up with it over the last 5 or 6 years. It is one of those seasonal kind of shows that the non-big 3 have aired trying to woo watchers/viewers to their network. If you do not know the show, a Georgia girl moves to LA to lead a homicide group of investigators. There are many characters of various ethnicity (which I really like) and the show can be violent and funny at the same time. Weird, I know, but it is an entertaining show.

We are behind on catching up on this series and in fact, the series has ended already and spun off into another TV show with most of the same characters but a new female lead. I think we have two more episodes until the series finale for us. So . . . on Sunday night of this week we were watching an episode and at the end of the episode, a death occurs that hit home to me. The main character's mom died and her reaction to the death just rocked me to put it bluntly, and I even saw the death coming.


The last few days that scene has played in my head a few times and has caused me to think of my mom more than normal. It is really not a morbid, depressed funk that I am in, in fact, I don't think it is a funk at all. I just really think it is still the grieving process that I find myself in almost five years later. We have celebrated alot the last few months with our girls and now son-in-law from graduations to a wedding to a new relationship that Morgan finds herself in (which is all good and I approve) and a very real part of me is a little sad that mom is not here to see her legacy play out. And, I feel much the same way in regards to my father-in-law and his passing a little over 4 years ago. There is a little sadness that they have "missed" their influence in our lives. (By the same token, both are with Christ and we would never ask them to leave His presence for this temporal earth. It is just that I miss them.)

So . . . no need to call in the psych squad but I realize that these moments that come "out of the blue" are really important of me being in touch with how God has wired me. And . . . it is great assurance that He never leaves or forsakes His own and that since we are created for relationship that when relationships are interrupted, there is grieving. I am cool with that. I am thankful for it too.

No comments: