Friday, September 16, 2011

What Am I Missing?

I have the opportunity to come along side many people who are in ministry in local churches, hear their stories, listen, encourage, and learn from them. I honestly cannot believe at times that God allows me to do what I get to do. Most of you know that I work for a very large Christian publisher and have for almost 19 years. It is a very good place to work. It is a ministry funded by business and I get to work alongside some of the greatest people I know. No kidding. They are great folks. They push me to be better at what we get to do collectively.

This week we hosted about 250 youth leaders at our place and we offered them opportunities to hear from people like Pete Wilson, Kelly Minter, Jess & Thom Rainer.We even mixed in The Skit Guys and my friend Jake Gulledge along with The Chris White Band. It was a great "platform". So many of those in attendance are wonderful people. They love Christ, they love students and they love ministry.So many of those who attended shared with me and with others how much they appreciate the conference that we hosted. They were encouraged, challenged, loved on and even led to confess shortcomings and sins in their life in a safe environment.

Why is is that ministers have to come away from their churches for these things to occur? Do not get me wrong, I am not bashing the church. It is the bride of Christ. I understand that. I do think however that the church has in many ways become a place for perfect people who think that to belong to our church (club) you have to act a certain way, believe certain things and choose not to do some very bad things. Notice I said very bad things because all of the people in all churches sin and fall short of the glory of God.

Am I helping people fall in love with the person of Christ or the teachings of Christ? No wonder people leave the church if all we busy ourselves with is telling people how to do all the right things without ever telling and showing them how to fall in love with a person, who is the Christ.

I am wrestling with this. I am guilty of this too many times. I am determined to place my life in the middle of doing all I can to help others fall in love with the person of Jesus Christ. I am starting with me. I think that is what I have been missing.

No comments: