Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Posturing - Hmmm.

I am prone to a mid-back that is not easy to adjust. I am also prone to a neck that seems to get out of whack at some very inopportune times. This summer my regular chiropractor (witch doctor as I affectionately call him) was out of town while I was in dire need of some adjusting. I was able to make it to another fine chiropractor who helped me tremendously, but it was not the same. He did a good job, but he did not know my posture only because I was a new patient to him. It is best when everything is in its rightful place because my posture tends to correct itself when things are where they belong. We will go to great lengths to get in the right posture because we think that pain will go away when we have the right posture. Barney Fife is a good example in this pic and in the show he was always posturing to get himself to look better than he actually was though. He was always funny, but always trying to be someone he was not.

There is another kind of posturing that is a whole different story. I find it interesting, mesmerizing, unbelievable, crazy, and somewhat sad when I notice that I am intentionally trying to put myself in situations to make myself look better for the sake of trying to "position" myself to look better to someone that I actually am. I have been guilty of that too many times in the past.

I find myself watching a few others right now who appear to posturing for a position. This honestly is not an attempt to judge those who may be posturing and really serves to show me what I look like when I am intentionally posturing for a certain role, position, etc. It is not pretty. I know all too well because I am a repeat offender. It is one thing to show others what you are capable of doing using your God-given talents/giftings, and it is another altogether to oversell yourself, speak up when one should be listening, and demanding service rather than serving. It really is not a fine line between the two. Both are intentional, but one is about what God wants to do with/in/through you rather than what one things he ought to do whether God has been consulted or not.

Yesterday's passage in bible study was Luke 923-26 If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself, take up my cross daily and follow me. I don't like that verse or that passage because it demands that I surrender. I cannot surrender and posture at the same time. I cannot surrender and play out my own agenda. It is impossible for me to stay the way that I am and go with God. It is a daily struggle for me. I guess that is why Christ said I had to take up his cross DAILY. He knows me and loves me enough to not allow me to stay the way that I am. I long for His posturing in my life. It is the only posture that really matters.

No comments: