Wednesday, March 30, 2011

March Madness, Sadness, Gladness

I pride myself in being so adept at all things college basketball. I really do not believe that about myself, but I continue to deceive myself year after year, especially during March Madness. I chose my final four teams through careful study, prayer, and casting lots (none of those are true). I go by gut and sometimes override my team loyalties with thinking too hard. If you know me, you know that Dook is my least favorite team followed closely by KU. I think Coach K is a coaching genius and would love it if he coached anywhere else but the two aforementioned teams. All that to say, I had Dook as the national champion. I know. Crazy and against all my true team loyalties, those being UNC and Mizzou. I was not sad to see Arizona thrash Dook the other night by 14. It busted my bracket but it did my heart good. I had Kansas, Pitt and OSU as my other final four teams. All wrong! I can pick 'em.

I was a little sad that UNC lost to UK. I had UNC losing that round but not to UK. I am not a UK hater but I am not a Calipari fan at all. I think he and that other joker at Louisville (must be a Kentucky thing) are really good coaches - they must be since both of them are the only coaches to take three different teams to the final four - but they both seem so shady and make good mobsters (I do not totally believe this however).

Gladness comes in the form of VCU - good for them, and especially Butler. To get there last year and to repeat to the final four is a strong statement. I really like Brad Stevens. Great demeanor; never seems to get rattled; and talks of morals and values. Butler is my clear favorite in my heart. Also, props to Calhoun who has overcome alot of adversity, much of which he brought on himself regarding sanctions, but his personal loss of a good friend from college days and a member of his family.

Most of my gladness comes in this form however, - thankful for time spent with our whole family this past weekend. God has so blessed us as a family. Even the guy Shelbi hangs around with is a great, young man. He and I had a conversation about shopping while we waited in the car listening to the ballgame while all the girls shopped. He says, "Mr. Turner, I just do not get the shopping thing. I agreed that I did not understand it either but that I understood that the ladies like to do it, so we get it enough to make sure they get to do it." I thought it was good advice. Kind of like many issues in life. I do not always get it, but I understand enough not to go fighting battles that are not mine or are not even battles in the first place.

Another gladness - the knee is recovering well. So very thankful and blessed. Able to ride the bike, elliptical, and do all kinds of stretching and exercises. It is getting stronger and this time off of running has allowed me to be much more balanced in my workouts. I needed that. Makes me glad.

No comments: