Thursday, November 25, 2010

Gratitude

Maybe I am more aware now than I have been before, but there just seem to be so many things to be thankful for in my life. I grew up in a family that always stressed the importance of being thankful. I intentionally try to live in such a way that shows that I am thankful for both the good and the not so good things that come my way. It just seems like the right day to blog about thankfulness but I know that a Christ-followers life is one that is blessed everyday. Here are few things I am especially thankful for and not necessarily in any kind of ranked order:

  • The grace of God - this is # 1 without a doubt. I blogged earlier about thinking that the older I got the less grace I would need. Silly me.
  • My family including my bride and love of my life, Sondra and our two daughters, Morgan and Shelbi (I am even thankful for Mark, Shelbi's beau. He will be shocked if he reads or hears about this.)
  • My family - this includes my dad; my mom who has been enjoying heaven almost 3 yrs. now; my brother, James and his wife, Julie; my mother in law, Joyce; Bronwyn and Phil and their three great kids; extended family of cousins, uncles, aunts, nieces, and nephews and some family members who are not really technically "family" anymore. Love them just the same.
  • My work family - the FUGE Camps crew is a great group of folks that I get to learn from and be encouraged. A host of other folks at LifeWay have invested in me so much and I am thankful for their influence in my life.
  • Church friends past and present. It gets pretty overwhelming when you start reflecting on almost 30 years of ministry in local churches and the number of people who have influenced your life.
  • Ministry friends throughout the US and the World. One of the joys of my ministry life is the number of people that God has allowed me to minister alongside.
  • The people who invested in me as a young boy and teenager. Too many to mention but a couple in particular who were youth leaders in my life, Mrs. Lorene Dickson and Mr. Manuel Aston. They were not young, cool youth leaders but two people who just invested in my life and have had a great impact on my life.
I could rattle on for awhile but suffice it to say, these are just a few that I am grateful for in my life.

Much to be thankful for in my life. Take some time to thank God for others in your life and contact a couple of them and let them know how much you are thankful for their influence in your life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paul, I am thankful for you. You called and checked on me while I was in the hospital, you are a constant encouragement to the body of Christ and I know there are many others who feel the same.
May God continue to bless you and your family.

Frank said...

Paul, I am also thankful for you. You called and check on my Father from Dallas on your lay-over.I am Proud to have you as a friend. You and the rest of the Guys were brought into my life for a reason. I beleive the reason was to show me that the fellowship, we share is all based around the Lord, that through Christ all things are possible