Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A New Reality


A couple of blog posts ago I wrote about change and how I am okay with it, especially when it does not involve me. You can read it here if you are interested.

Lately I have discovered that this new life that Sondra and I are leading is just that - change. But "the more things change the more they stay the same", as the old saying goes. This transition in our lives is really, really good. It is strange and weird and we have by no means transitioned completely, but I am discovering some things I had not anticipated.
  • I have more focused "free" time - our evenings are not filled with ball games, practices, etc. that centered around the girls' activities
  • I have fallen more in love with Sondra. At the risk of sounding sappy, I knew all along how incredible of a wife and mom she is, but with more time not filled with activity, I find myself just longing to spend more time with her
  • We have more time for one another. Heck, we even played backgammon the other night and we had not done that in years. It was one of those fun games we used to play as newlyweds.
  • We have attended free Titans and Predators games. I love free and love sports but really just love spending time with Sondra.
  • I find myself praying for and being thankful for Shelbi and Morgan more than ever. What incredible young women they have become and with text, email, and Skype, we stay in touch alot.
  • I find myself reflecting on the past and dreaming of the future more. Maybe because I turned 47 in early September and realize I have about 20 years of full-time ministry left. I want to make the most of it. There are some great days already lived and even greater days ahead.
Life is good. It is very good. I love our daughters and am thankful for how God is using them. I love my wife and am so incredibly blessed. I am adjusting to the "empty nest" whatever that really means. I am thankful for some new things that God is teaching me about Him and about me in Him.

No comments: