Friday, May 7, 2010

Sunday, May 9 - A Tale of At Least Two Emotions

The month of May is a really busy one for us as a family. Some of the things that happen in May happen to everyone during this month, but May presents our family a couple of extra things.

When Sondra and I were dating and then betrothed (just wanted to use that word) we were trying to find a suitable time for us to have a wedding. We went through many dates and finally landed on a Saturday in May. The challenge for us was to have our wedding day and subsequent anniversaries not conflict with other major dates on the calendar. We thought we were doing a good job 25 years ago but quickly realized that the best laid plans of choosing dates do not always pan out. (Enough back story. All of that to say, May is really busy for us.)

My mom w/ Shelbi & Morgan
This Sunday, May 9th is one of those collision dates for us and with it will come a wide range of emotions. For everyone, this Sunday is Mother's Day. This will be the third observance of this honored day without my mother treading this sod. I have to admit that I still miss my mom but I will add that the hurt of that miss is not near as painful. I was really blessed to have mom for 44 years. Many do not have the privilege of having someone like my mom for four months, so I am truly blessed.

This Sunday, Sondra will get to celebrate her mom on Mother's Day. I know she has sent a card (pretty sure w/o any money) and my mother-in-law will arrive at our house later in the week to be with us for Morgan's h.s. graduation. Joyce Holmes is an amazing woman who followed her husband to this country via a little time in Canada. She is a wonderful woman of God and the best mother-in-law ever. Hands down.
My in-laws w/ Shelbi

This Sunday, May 9th is also my father-in-law's birthday. We lost him in September '08. What an incredible guy he was. He would be 80 this Sunday. I know that my beautiful bride will be thinking of him, as will I, and the rest of our family. Dr. Bernard Holmes impacted many lives for the Kingdom of God. He impacted mine in too many ways to mention.

My dad, Charles and me
This Sunday, May 9th is my dad's, Charles Turner, 70th birthday. I have lauded him many times on this blog, but I have to tell you, there is no greater man in my eyes, than my father. He is balding, losing his teeth and a little of his hearing, (had to throw all that in dad) but he loves Jesus. In the last few months, he has retired from full-time pastoring (and about to lose his interim job), sold his house, bought another one closer to my brother, moved in and in some ways, started over. Pretty awesome for a 69/70 year old.

Morgan, Sondra, Shelbi
This Sunday is also Mother's Day for my wife. While she is definitely not my mother, she is an amazing mother to our two daughters. Sondra is the Proverbs 31 gal. She is the love of my life and our daughters have the great privilege of calling her mom. (She can say all of these kinds of nice things about me next month at Father's Day.)

Maybe lots of emotions going through me now and on Sunday, but the overwhelming knowledge of and experience of being blessed is what I know and feel.

Oh, and on Tuesday, May 11, we celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary. I am blessed.

No comments: