Friday, May 22, 2015

And then . . . There Was a Wedding.

I realize that is has been almost three weeks since the wedding for Morgan and Wil and it is time for me to give you a little insight to what happened.

I want to explain it in just a few short words - God-honoring! Beautiful! Humbling! FUN!

God-honoring: Wil and Morgan have been a wonderful example of how to honor one another in a dating/engagement relationship. It has been a joy to watch them interact; learn one another; and figure out how two people who are different temperaments and personalities learn to accept one another just as God designed them.

Beautiful: Okay, so I am a biased dad, but Morgan was just beautiful. She glowed. She beamed. She was just . . . well, beautiful. My mom always said that I would have made a beautiful girl and since Morgan has a tendency to look like me, I take mom's words as a compliment. Wil looked fairly handsome himself and to watch him watch Morgan walk down the aisle was pretty awesome. (I had a great vantage point.)

Humbling: It was quite an honor to be both dad and officiant. I can't really explain it. It was just so
humbling to be able to stand there in the moment and lead these two into marriage. God has allowed Sondra and me to steward these two beautiful girls (Morgan and Shelbi) lives and to see God at work in their lives is just a humbling experience. We have made our share of mistakes in rearing them but His grace really is more than sufficient. As a daddy standing there looking at Morgan and Wil it is just a hugely proud moment in a non-haughty way. Grateful. Thankful. Humbling.

And also humbling, knowing that God was preparing a young man through a family who loves Him and desires to honor Him in their own lives. We love the Sloans. Kevin, Cathy, Sam (who graduates from the Air Force Academy next week) and Gracie are a blessing in our lives. Thank you to each of them for loving Wil and teaching him to love the Lord his God with all his heart, mind and soul.

FUN: The whole days surrounding the wedding and the wedding day were just so much fun. There was no drama. No pettiness. No silly antics. Just good fun. Morgan and Wil's wedding party was made up of their friends (many of whom Sondra and I have known for 2-3 years) and they were great. The rehearsal dinner that was put on by the Sloans was so nice and so much fun hearing stories about Morgan and Wil through the eyes of their friends.


It was just a beautiful time of worship, celebration and fun. We are honored to have Wil as our son-in-law. He is an answer to prayer.

One last word: The most beautiful person in the room that day (and everyday for me) is my beautiful
Sondra. The way she helped prepare our girls for their lives and their mates is simply incredible. She is the love of my life. She is my heart. She is my wife and best friend. I clearly remember that day May 11, 1985 when she said, "I do." Here she is praying over Morgan just minutes before the wedding. I am one blessed dude and our girls and sons-in-law are blessed as well to have her as a mom and a mother-in-law.

All pictures are from Harrison's Lens. Harrison and Hailey were amazing capturing the images from the day. 

No comments: