Monday, November 18, 2013

Walking A Thin Line

Many who read this know me pretty well. Others of you have a tendency to know me through conferences, projects, or some even through creeping on me and my happenings via Twitter or Facebook. Some times I write something rather pithy, or report on what has been happening in our family, work, or even some kind of fitness adventure I have embarked upon. There are times that I struggle with what to write, what I want to reveal or even to just ignore hoping that somehow I do not write something that would be offensive; too self revealing; or just plain stupid. The filter that I try to write through does include a lens that I hope will be informative and especially encouraging. I do not always hit that goal, but that is a desire of mine.

This post is one designed to point out some of the struggles I contend with practically every day I am alive. At its' root, it is addiction or addictive behavior. At times I masquerade it well and at other times, I am blatantly out in the open with it. My addictive behavior patterns are revealed practically every morning in my tweets and posts. It can look like this "good 8 mile run/18 mile bike ride/ swim", etc. It can also look like this "great win by the #Royals and I like the way this team is playing right now" but seldom does it look like this - "my goal today is to bring glory to God in all I say, think and do today".  At times, if I am not careful, I can become consumed to see how many "retweets" or "likes" or "favorites" I get on the posts that I make. Addictive behavior craves "more" of many things and even the seemingly "good" activities that I participate in can be fillers for not being satisfied w/ Jesus. He is enough. I know that. I teach that, I conference on that, and I remind myself of that often and then run out and try to find other things that will fill that "enough" spot I have in my life.

I am thankful that God has created and wired me the way that I am. I love being outdoors. I love to run, bike and exercise. I like mowing the grass and creating that "checkerboard design" in the yard. And I love sports. You know that I am a MIZZOU, Royals, and Chiefs fan painfully at times. I think you know that I love Sondra, who is just simply amazing. Shelbi, Mark and Morgan bring me true delight and make me well up with pride. I am blessed. I have family and friends who love and support me. I have a God who is crazy about me. I need to remember that! I need to accept and  live a line that I quote often, "Jesus loves me and accepts me exactly the way I am, He just loves me too much to leave me that way."


No comments: