Thursday, September 5, 2013

50 on 50

Best Part of the Trip
So . . . how does one celebrate their 50th birthday?! I knew that I was not interested in anything involving adult beverages especially with someone like me who can have addictive behavior tendencies, so I put my mind to work.  I have known of people who run 50 miles on their 50th and that really did not sound like alot of fun to me.Back in the Spring, I entered and completed my first triathlon and found it to be pretty fun so I thought do a combination of running,biking and swimming that would add up to at least 50 miles was my best option.

I took off from the Downtown YMCA with a bunch of buddies (Rusty, Mike Whittle, Young Mike, Gordon, Young Charlie, Stubblefield, and David Grant). We ran a familiar 8 plus mile course and then David and I ran almost 5 more to complete the half marathon distance. I ate some breakfast and climbed on the bike and started making my way towards the Donelson Y to swim. On the way I stopped and saw Sondra at her work and then continued on. The green way system is really nice and pretty much traffic free so it made for an enjoyable ride. I arrived at the Y to swim and got
Hardest Hill on the Bike
a mile in there. I found it to be pretty refreshing and talked to a couple of friends who happened to be working out at the Y. After swimming, it was back on the bike and on the way to see Sondra again and then to finish up the day of exercise. All together I think I was out there about 6.5 hours with many breaks and lots of fun. I was just covering the distance and had to remind myself of that a few times. I have a tendency to be a little competitive as some of you know.

While riding and swimming I did a lot of thinking and remembering. So many people who have invested in my life over the years. I am incredibly grateful and blessed. And . . . so many of you sent birthday greetings. One of my friends, Chrissy, wrote a blog post about me which I decided to read during lunch at Calypso restaurant. What she wrote was very humbling. Here is a link to her blog post and I know that sounds a little self-serving, but it reminds me that what we say and do influences people at times when they and we need it most. (By the way, when eating lunch at Calypso by yourself, reading the blog post and crying can tend to be a little awkward but agh . . . who cares?)

I am thankful for you. Thank you for influencing me and allowing me to be a small part of your life as well.

As John Gruden of football fame said a couple of weeks ago when he turned 50, "Hey! All you 50 year olds, let's keep fighting." Count me in!

No comments: