Monday, March 26, 2012

Informational "Discipleship"

The last few years I have become more and more aware that we are people obsessed with information. We are consumed by it. We google, read articles in actual print form, download, surf, watch, engage, and what not (what they heck is that filler phrase anyway? what not? stop saying it, it means nothing) trying to get more information so we can be "smarter", "in the know", what not. (See there it is again. We would not normally type it so quit saying it!) (ENOUGH FILLER WORD RANTING YOU SAY!) Agreed.

I spent the weekend with youth leaders in AZ and am about to spend the week with youth leaders from all over the US and Texas. (Most people from TX forget that they are actually US citizens). Many will come looking for more information to help them to be more effective in ministry to students. I love what I get to do, but more and more of the conferences that I lead are less about information and much more about transformation. We get information in order for God to use it in our lives to make us more like Him, not so we will know more.

One of the things I have been convicted about lately is how I approach reading God's Word. Instead of the first lens being "let me see what this passage says to me, so I can change the way I live", I have been reading asking God to reveal more of Himself to me so I can love Him more for Who He really is instead of my idea of what God should be like.

My wife and I fell in love one summer many years ago, and the main way I learned about her and fell in love with her is through the letters she wrote to me that summer. I did not read those letters trying to figure out who I was, but to learn more of who she was/is. (I did get excited when she mentioned me in her letters though for sure). I am asking God to transform me as I continue to discover more of Who He is. I cannot do that without spending time in His Word.

I have much to learn. Information can lead to transformation or I can stay consumed with myself and try to discover more and more about me and let God have a little influence where it fits. I am praying that He will continue to quicken me to continue to discover Him and His greatness.

2 comments:

adam mclane said...

Whoa! Crazy, I wrote about the same thing this morning.

Hmm.. perhaps the Holy Spirit is up to something?

pturner63 said...

I hope He is up to something. I need it.